The Iceman Sayeth

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Weekend Update

Hey everyone - just chilling on my couch on a Saturday afternoon. I've had an excellent week, and today was no different. I woke up early, took a shower, and then Sean and I headed into town for some errands. We ended up an Eastern Market, where we had brunch. He feasted on a french baguette with butter, ham and cornichons, while I had a sandwich with chicken, bacon, mustard, and caramelized onions. Yum. We got back home around 1 and since then have been reading the newspapers, food magazines, and books (more on my new book later). This evening will actually be quite fun. Our friend Nilar, who is Burmese, is inviting us over for a Burmese food feast/cooking lesson with her parents. So not only will we be eating delectable authentic Burmese food but also learning how to make it. Sweeeeet!

I finished my Doctorow novel on Thursday and began a new book: James L. Swanson's Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer. It actually begins with the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and then traces the escape of John Wilkes Booth until he was captured in Virginia 12 days later. It's really well written - almost like a thriller. And strangely enough, the story of the novel I finished ended in early April 1865. This book begins right where the other ended, at the very end of the Civil War.

And now, for my annual fearless Oscar picks for tomorrow's ceremony:

Best picture: The Departed (second choice Little Miss Sunshine)
Best director: Martin Scorsese for The Departed
Best actor: Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland
Best actress: Helen Mirren for The Queen (as I predicted in October)
Best supporting actor: Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls (second choice Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine)
Best supporting actress: Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (second choice Abigail Breslin for Litte Miss Sunshine)
Best original screenplay: Michael Arndt for Little Miss Sunshine
Best adapted screenplay: William Monahan for The Departed
Best foreign film: Pan's Labyrinth (which I hope wins MANY awards - go see it!!!)

Check back on Monday to see how I did. I, for one, plan to enjoy the awards. Ellen DeGeneres is hosting, and that woman is funny! Which, considering that she's a lesbian, is highly unusual...

OK - hasta luego, amigos. Getting ready for Burmese food!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home