The Iceman Sayeth

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

And It Goes On...

As promised, here is my Tuesday night dinner. It was light, summery and delicious:

Penne with Artichokes, Black Olives and Peas

12 marinated artichoke hearts (1 can)
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 lemon, cut in thin circles
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
1 tomato, diced
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sweet peas
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound penne pasta, cooked
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano


Coat a saucepan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and place over medium heat. Blot the artichokes dry then add them to the pan. Add the garlic, shallot, lemon slices, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Pour in the stock, cover, and let simmer for 8 minutes to soften the artichokes. Remove the lid and add the olives, basil, tomatoes and butter, stir to incorporate. Add the peas and remaining oil; season again with salt and pepper. Cook pasta al dente and top with the baby artichoke sauce. Remove the lemons and bay leaves, and sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

This was really a very nice dinner. Doing the prep work ahead of time really works to one's advantage here, since being able to dump everything straight into the saucepan makes this a 30-minute meal. And for someone who didn't enjoy olives and artichokes not so long ago, I say good on me!! :)

Sean and I watched another Icelandic movie last night - Nói albinói. Why do my countrymen feel the need to make such incredibly depressing movies? Who the hell would want to visit Iceland after seeing these depression-fests that pass for movies? Holy crap! I barely want to go there myself now! I think I need to have a serious discussion with my moviemaker cousin about this mess. I need a comedy!!!

Speaking of funny thing... THIS is my favorite thing in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home